The HSP70i protein

mice

Loyola University of Chicago researchers have developed a genetically modified protein with potential in reversing the effects of vitiligo in mice.

The group of researchers led by Dr. Caroline Le Poole described their findings in an article published in  "Science Translational Medicine"

Previous studies performed by this group of researchers have shown that the HSP70i protein plays a vital role in the autoimmune response that causes vitiligo.

HSP70i is a heat shock protein consisting of 641 building blocks called amino acids. Le Poole and her colleagues genetically modified one of these amino-acids to create a mutant HSP70i. The mutant HSP70i protein supplants HSP70i proteins, reversing the autoimmune response in vitiligo.

When administered to mice, HSP70i protein caused them to develop vitiligo. Their fur turned the colouring of salt-and-pepper. When vaccinated with the mutant HSP70i, their fur turned black again. The same effect could be observed on human skin samples.

Concerning the future of this discovery for the treatment of vitiligo, their still is a long way to go: the researchers are seeking regulatory approval and funding for clinical trials in humans.

SOURCE:

J. A. Mosenson, A. Zloza, J. D. Nieland, E. Garrett-Mayer, J. M. Eby, E. J. Huelsmann, P. Kumar, C. J. Denman, A. T. Lacek, F. J. Kohlhapp, A. Alamiri, T. Hughes, S. D. Bines, H. L. Kaufman, A. Overbeck, S. Mehrotra, C. Hernandez, M. I. Nishimura, J. A. Guevara-Patino, I. C. Poole, Mutant HSP70 Reverses Autoimmune Depigmentation in Vitiligo. Sci. Transl. Med. 5, 174ra28 (2013). http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/5/174/174ra28

category:

Comments

Submitted by GeorgeC on

probably after all of the human trial procedures will be completed and even after that there is a long period of waiting for approval. The research for this protein dates back to the 90s

Submitted by Hope on

Yes, the protein dates back, but as I understand, this a new modified version which can reverse Vitiligo, this could actually be what millions of people have been waiting for, the results are indeed striking, lets hope a speedy approval process

Submitted by Leah on

I agree- I understood the protein to be a modified form and it does seem to carry striking results! I hope this is what millions of people have been waiting for ( myself included) to have quality of life back again! Please a speedy approval process- how great that would be!

Submitted by sony on

I am not much confidence in genetically modified proteins because if this will not meet the required criteria may be it will respond in a different from to this. May be it will cause a virus to spread the air.for more details

Submitted by Jen M. Hudak on

I would like to volunteer in the human study to help
find a cure for vitiligo. Who do I submit my information to? jenmhudak @gmail.com

Submitted by jinane on

je suis tellement contente que ça avance ça fera pleins de gens heureux a travers le monde merci merci

Submitted by Theano Papaemmanouil on

Millions of people are waiting for this treatment and all of us we have millions of hopes. God bless you to find a treatment. I would like to be a volunteer in the researches of the new treatment. Please inform me when is possible. My email is : brokenup_withlove@hotmail.com

Submitted by Bryan on

The truth is that I tried everything to cure my vitiligo problem, creams, laser treatments, medicines. After spending six years with vitiligo in most areas of my body, I found this treatment: www.naturalvitiligotreatmentsystems.com , could not believe what was happening to me, the first 2 weeks I was noticing the change. After 2 months I was almost cured. today I am completely healed without surgery, or exercise, or lasers, just with this natural diet treatment.

Submitted by Dharmik on

Dear plz inform when this treatment availabal lots of people waiting for hsp70i plz save us life.

Submitted by Michel on

Bonjours je voudrais essayé votre protein mutante HSP70i.
Hello i want try protein mutante HSP70i, pliz.
I can go in america. It's important for mi.

Submitted by namrata on

How can I volunteer to participate in the upcoming trials? Whom should I contact?

Submitted by jai on

Its like two years,,,there are more than 2 million people in india with vitiligo and more millions around the world.....pls answer us..

Submitted by lowey on

Please let us know the latest on when this will be offered to medical world. This disease is aemotionally debilitating . Please give us an update

Submitted by lowey on

Submitted by Giorgio from italy on

i am 73 years old, i am affeçted by vitiligo in all body from over 60 years. For me is not anymore
Estetic problem. IS A LIFE PROBLEM, I NEED TO BE PROTECTED FROM THE SUN BY
GARMENTS EVERY TIME. I CAN'T STAY FREE UNDER SUN IN THE BEACH, BOAT,
DURING TENNIS PLAY, SKY, WALKING. FINALLY WITHOUt CONSIDERING HOW THE
PEOPLES LOOKS YOU AS A MONSTER. VERY HARD LIFE

Submitted by Manohar Sonawane on

I am from Mumbai India please let me know research progress update of hsp70i on humanbeings & how much time it will take to complet trial reseach all the vitiligo suffering pupils are desperately waiting for it It is our final hope. I would like to be part of trial of hsp70i if in India. My email is spam.sonawane@gmail.com

Submitted by ANKIT AGARWAL on

Hello, I am a vitiligo patient. I have vitiligo since I was 3 years old. Toad its been 23 years since I have this.Can anyone please update on the advancements made in HSP70i, and are they ready to roll the cure out in the market yet. I can come to the US if required to .

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This is a measure to protect against spam robots
Fill in the blank.